Thursday, January 17, 2013

Lavishly Loved

This afternoon, Elijah and I were having a “cuddle nap.”  Basically, that means that we snuggled together on the couch, huddled under blankets, and pretended to sleep.  Every now and then he “woke up” and asked a question, about such things as two trees falling in the woods at the same time (can they hold each other up?). 
Somewhere around the 17th wake-up, he repeated to me an oft-used phrase in our home.  “Mom,” he said, “I love you to infinity and beyond!”
It’s not the first time I’ve heard that, of course, and I love it.  Every. Single. Time.  But this afternoon, I had a new thought.  I thought about how that’s kind of a silly phrase, that no one can really love someone beyond infinity.  Infinity is FOREVER. 
But then it hit me.  God loves us beyond infinity.  Really and truly beyond.  I’m not certain that’s even possible to really understand. 
As I sat there, fake sleeping, I thought of this verse:
Fullscreen capture 1172013 35402 PM.bmp
I looked at my son, snuggled beside me, and knew that in that moment he felt lavishly loved, because I was taking time in the middle of the afternoon to do nothing but love him.  He craves this kind of love, this kind of touch.  I was meeting his needs, by BEING there. 
And guess what?  I think it’s pretty awesome that my heavenly Father meets my needs every single day, just by being there.  He lavishes his love on me in so many ways, and sometimes I am aware of those ways.  Other times, I really need to be reminded that being there is a gift.  If gift of love.
~insert laundry break~
Upon further speculation, I had one more thought, and that was this:
Fullscreen capture 1172013 43131 PM.bmp
What would happen if we did this ^^^^  lavishly?  What if we lavishly loved others with our actions, and with truth? 
What do you think?  How do you lavishly love?

No comments:

Post a Comment