Friday, October 11, 2013

What $35 Will Buy At Lidl

My grocery-related posts seem to be popular, and I understand why.  I’m fascinated by how these things work in other countries too.  Last night, Milena and I went to our favorite local store to pick up a few things, so when I got home, I took a picture for posterity.
180_0396
We spent about $35 USD, and this is what we bought (weight conversions are estimates):
8 lb squash (not pictured)
22 liters of water (not pictured)
36 oz bag of cornflakes
24 oz Honey Cheerio-like cereal
3-12oz containers of Yogurt
6 oz bag of pretzels
16 ct. pack of hot dogs
1 Loaf of Bread
1 Bunch of Green Onions
1 lb Onions
2 lb Potatoes
2 Cucumbers
1 Head of Lettuce
4 lemons
2 lbs Oatmeal
5 Doughnuts (an unusual treat!)
10 oz. Mayonnaise
2 lbs Local Cheese
80 ct. Cleaning Wipes
I also bought tortillas (16 tortillas for $4) and Butter (2 lbs for $8) but I had to go to a different store for those.  Items like meat and butter definitely raise the total bill.  We often try to make our own tortillas, but it’s time consuming and sometimes we just can’t make it happen.  It’s much cheaper when we do though!
I hope you enjoyed this little peek into everyday life in Sofia! 

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh - I found you on A Life Oversees (and actually would like to email you with a question, if that is not a problem - you can email me at alittlerandr@outlook.com) - but I clicked on your blog and saw Lidl!! We have Lidl, too - and I L.O.V.E Lidl!! And then I saw you serve in Sofia! I have a friend from Sofia and my sister-in-law grew up in a small village in Bulgaria as well (she just became and American Citizen the other day).

    Anyway - it's great to connect with you. I am doing a large series on missions on my blog: littlerandr.org. I hope we stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete